05 July 2010

Americana the Beautiful

I love this country.  It's not the greatest country in the world.  Politicians say that.  Ignorant people believe that.  I love this country because of the people who carve out large slices but also want everybody to have a piece of the pie.  Hope you were out at a 4th of July BBQ this weekend, saying hello to your neighbors or hugging your family.
Seeing this Cougar, still in one piece out in the summer heat, made me happy and sad at the same time.  Happy that someone was smart enough not to crush it, and sad that it has been abandoned at some level.  If this photograph is a metaphor, let it be the neglected greatness that is preserved in little slices of Americana.    I love this country when it is humble, honorable, fun, gregarious, and Detroit.  Car design had some of it's greatest moments there.  I think that's why I love "the greatest country in the world".   I'm going to keep rooting for it one way or another.  In this case, let it be a beautifully designed muscle car on a driveway in Echo Park, Los Angeles, California, USA.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment