11 April 2011

cul-de-sac

picOweek came from life's path today.  After a week filled shooting jobs and assignments, no story drew me to the stuff from which this weekly missive springs.  The deadline loomed.  Post an image every Monday.  On top of scheduling a walk with Jose, I had committed to doing a friend a favor in the  morning.  I stuck to my commitments, thinking picOweek all along.

Our morning walk moved to the afternoon.  I drove to Beverly Hills to shoot for my friend.  On the way back, I picked Jose up and we drove to my studio in Frogtown.  The plan was to head down the river then up the hill to Echo Park.  We set off.

Life's path the analogy goes.  Jose brought it up on our walk.  Elaborating, he confided that, at times,  he wound up down a cul-de-sac.  Now that's interesting, I had always thought those directions in life were dead ends.  While both share the same navigational limitations,  a cul-de-sac is way more useful.

A cul-de-sac tree is lined with trees and there's room to turn around.  It  offers a way out without backing up.   All you have to do is be smart enough to use it and get back to the right course.  Suddenly things seemed brighter.  The times I had strayed from my path didn't seem like such a waste.  Those to come will take on a new perspective.

We climbed Landa street, a direct route up from Frogtown to Echo Park.  It's gated off at the top and the bottom, sort of a dead end on our route.  We slipped past the gates, continued our conversation, laughed and wound up covering everything we had planned to.  picOweek was made on the way back down the hill.  I didn't know it this morning, but it was on the path.

No comments:

Post a Comment