08 March 2010

Sea Wolf and rock and roll photography

I'm a big fan of 60's and 70's rock photography.  Access was so much better.  Jim Marshall, Henry Diltz, Bob Gruen and Annie Leibovitz were trusted and invited in to do their work.  You may not even remember the images, but they are part of your subconscious understanding of who Jimi Hendrix or Keith Richards is, and what Woodstock or the first wave of what became punk was like.  For the most part this is a thing of the past.  Far too many licensing and legal barriers stand in the way of letting photographers capture the moments that add up to what it's like to be a musician today.
The energy and talk it takes to get in where I can pays off when I meet musicians like Alex Brown Church of Sea Wolf.  I only took a few minutes of their time since they were about to take the stage at a benefit event, Manifest Equality's art show in Los Angeles on March 6th, 2010.  It's a good time to catch a band, the energy building, the focus, and the love of music.  The whole thing took 5 minutes max.  I didn't even meet the manager until after.  Smart man.  Hope I can shoot them again.

Out of everything, I really liked this series of shots.  We agreed to use the fucked up pink and stainless steel wall and bad fluorescent lights as a set.  Alex was warming up and waiting for the rest of the band to join him.


Once all the band got there, we did a couple of different setups.  Without having them longer, I just try to get moments when each member's personality comes through and everyone is doing something different.  I'd like to get them in the studio.
Kashmir was on their first US west coast tour.  They are from Denmark.  I got a chance to shoot them at their management company's offices.  I like having to come up with a location on the fly.  Took 5 minutes to find this cement corridor with converging lines, dusty green landscaping and a strong back light.  

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic! I don't think I've ever seen a portrait of the whole band before - a rare catch indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paige, is that right? I had no idea. I'm very respectful of bands with obvious front man personalities when they want to be represented as a band. Alex seemed to want it that want, and I respect that. Even when I asked him to take a step forward, it was a small one. Chris and Paige, thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete