14 July 2010

Dinner with horses


Up the river from openSHADEstudio, there's horses.  I know they're there.  I see them when I take rides on the bike path.  I talked to Steve, who boards his horse at Taking the Reins.  He rides it across the river, under the freeway and into Griffith Park.  How amazing is that?
It's heartening to live in a major metropolitan area with big patches of nature portioned out, not to be encroached on.  Steve was one of the guests at a fundraising dinner Sunday.  We were served dinner on a long table, set in the middle of the barn.  Surrounded by stalls, each inhabited by a horse with its own color markings, size and personality, this had to be one of the top ten best places I've had dinner in L.A.  (just for comparison, Tim and Bridgitte's wedding in the river, under the 6th St. bridge is another).  From my place setting, savoring Meg's amazing trout dinner, I could sense Bucky's presence from a stall 30 feet away.  He was massive.  When I went to greet him, waiting for dessert, he would have none of it.  Strong spirit, lots of energy, independent, my kind of person, except he's a horse.  So, if we ever get a chance to dine together, feel free to be a Bucky, I kinda dig it.


No comments:

Post a Comment